Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 12: Kosher Cheesey Green Eggs and Ham

"I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam I am." --Dr. Seuss

Despite my tribute to the famed Dr. Seuss poem,  you're probably wondering how the hell ham can in fact be kosher AND even if I didn't use real ham, how mixing milk and meat can even be considered as kosher. WELL, it's not, haha, which is why it's a good thing that not only did I not use real ham, but I didn't even use any meat product at all! And trust me, unlike the excerpt from the poem declares, you will like this version; call me crazy (or as my good friend Vinny says, "Girl, you so cray-cray!"), but you'll understand when you see the recipe below:

Green Eggs with Veggie Ham and Aged Asiago Cheese
 Makes 1 serving

1 large egg
1/4 c. sliced aged asiago cheese (or any aged cheese like Gouda, which is VERY gooda, get it? Or even a nicely aged cheddar would do)
2 tbsp green tomato salsa--MINE was specially made by my super awesome friend, Katie O'Rourke, with freshly grown tomatoes. Shout out!
1 frozen Italian spiced veggie sausage link (I used Light Life's Italian Style Veggie Protein Sausage but Yves brand makes a good version too--Note: they are NOT gluten-free, be forewarned! In fact most veggie protein that I've seen has wheat gluten in it but I'm sure nowadays that at least Whole Foods probably carries a gluten-free variety)
1/4 tsp dill
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp sea salt
Splash of unsweetened almond milk

1)  Spray a small skillet with Pam olive oil and heat on medium heat
2) Crack egg into a small bowl and mix with the spices, milk and salsa.
3) Defrost veggie link in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
4) Pour egg mixture into the heated skillet and let it sit for a few minutes.
5) Slice veggie link into 1/4 inch slices (about 1/4 of the link) and put the rest back into the freezer.
6) Place veggie link slices on 1 side of the skillet and top with cheese.
7) Now my omelet failed when I tried to flip it over so I ended up making scrambled eggs but if that works for you, great--that was my original intention anyway! I probably left in the pan too long before attempting to flip it...
8) Let omelet or scrambled eggs cook for a minute or two and remove from skillet to serve immediately.

Enjoy and Bon Appetit!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment