Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 45: The Big Salad

Seinfeld was a show that you either watched religiously or didn't care for. To me, I watched it religiously even though it was a virtually a show about nothing, but that was what made it so hilarious in my opinion, and I believe that you can relate every day situations to certain episodes if not certain clips from various episodes of that show. There have even been multiple times where I've had to dodge pigeons from flying into me. Maybe there's a something strange about New York City pigeons or maybe I do have an apparently larger head, I don't know. Nevertheless, I thought of the episode regarding the 'big salad' that Elaine couldn't seem to order when she and the gang ventured into a new cafe in a seemingly alter universe, instead of their usual hangout. The waitress tells her that she can order two small salads, a concept which is pretty ridiculous, and what makes the whole encounter pretty funny. My salad, however, was the real deal--a normal, big salad, but I kept in mind the fact that I pay attention to portion control as you should too, even with healthy foods. You can also feast your eyes on two dessert/snack recipes for some quick protein fixes that'll carry you over until your next meal and take less than 5 minutes to prepare:

The Big Salad with Spicy Pesto Yogurt Dressing
Makes 1 serving


1 c. romaine hearts chopped
1 c. arugula
3 canned artichoke hearts, leaves separated
1/4 c. yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 c. garbanzo beans
1/2 sweet bell pepper chopped (mine was orange)
1/4 c. kalamata olives, pitted and chopped

1 brussel sprout or cilantro sprig for garnish

Spicy Pesto Yogurt Dressing:
2 tbsp 0% Greek Yogurt (I like Fage the best but Chobani is a good alternative)
1 tbsp vegan pesto sauce (I used Bear Pond Farm's Spicy Vegan Pesto sauce from Whole Foods since Hannah loves pesto but can't handle the dairy found in non-vegan pesto, which is a larger amount than the sprinkling I've used on the pizzas and other dishes)
1 tsp Sriracha sweet chili sauce (optional depending on your desired heat level)
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk

1) Rinse off veggies before chopping them and arrange in a small bowl.
2) Top with garbanzo beans.
3) Mix together dressing ingredients and spoon some on top of the garbanzo beans
4) Toss salad with your fork to distribute the dressing and garnish with a brussel sprout and some red pepper flakes. Serve immediately!

Enjoy your big salad and Bon Appetit!



Home Brewed Coffee Yogurt
Makes 1 serving


1 c. 0% Greek yogurt
1 c. freshly brewed coffee (I used some from Taiwan, courteous of my sister who lived there for three years)
dash cinnamon
2 packets stevia (I'm not using Splenda anymore because it causes severe stomach distress and is basically just as bad for you as other chemically produced sweeteners--stevia comes from a plant and is all natural, but don't buy Truvia, which contains Erythritol, a sugar alcohol that can have a laxative effect--Pure Via is a better brand that's really pure and contains ingredients only from the stevia leaves.)

1) Brew 1 cup of your favorite coffee.
2) Stir coffee into the Greek yogurt.
2) Add the cinnamon and stevia cool in the refrigerator or serve immediately!

Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

Creamy Pumpkin Pie Puree
Makes 1 serving


1/4 c. canned pumpkin (unsweetened/spiced)
2 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt
2 packets of stevia
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cinnamon
chopped nuts for garnish (I'd recommend pecans or almonds)

1) Mix pumpkin and greek yogurt in a small bowl.
2) Add stevia and spices.
3) Garnish with nuts and serve immediately!

Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment